Money for study and training

Thinking of staying on in education or training? Financial support is available. Read on to find out more.


16-19 Bursary

If you’re aged between 16 and 19 years and think you might need help with the costs of continuing with full-time education or training, you may receive a Bursary.

Students most in need will be eligible to receive a Bursary of up to £1,200 a year. This group includes:

  • people in care
  • care leavers
  • people claiming income support or getting Universal Credit
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit

Other students facing genuine financial difficulties may be awarded a Bursary at the discretion of their school, college or training provider.

Schools, colleges and training providers are responsible for awarding bursaries to students. With the exception of the £1,200 bursaries for students most in need, they decide on the amount. They will also decide when bursaries are paid, and will set conditions that students should meet to receive a Bursary, for example, regular attendance.

Care to Learn

You can claim Care to Learn if you are under 20, caring for your own child and doing a school and college course or training programme that receives public funding (fathers are eligible if they are the main carers). An application can be made as soon as you have a confirmed place on a learning programme. Funding is available for childcare costs, any registration fee where charged, any childcare fees you must pay in holidays and any additional travel costs you must pay to take your child to the carer. Your childcare provider must be registered with Ofsted. Go to for more information.

Further education residential support

You may be interested in studying a course that is not available within a reasonable travelling distance from your home. (This is sometimes the case for young people wanting to study particular specialist courses, for example in dance, agriculture/

horticulture, music or art and design). This may mean living away from home at a residential college. Payments are for a maximum of three years.

For more information about financial support for this go to or contact the college you are interested in as they may be able to offer some help.

Dance and Drama Awards

These are available at 19 accredited dance and drama schools. The professional courses cover acting, dance, musical theatre and production skills. You must be 16 or over and show talent and a likelihood to succeed in the industry.

A Dance and Drama Award can help you pay for your tuition fees and towards living costs. The amount you get depends on your household income and where you live and study

For more information on these awards check:

Other support

Learning providers (e.g. colleges and training providers) have access to additional funding to support those facing difficulties in paying for books, equipment or field trips. If you face difficulties you will need to discuss this with your tutor, or student support/welfare department.

Other information

In addition to the information on the previous page, if you are continuing your studies or are on an approved traineeship, your parents or carers will still be able to carry on receiving child benefit (if they are eligible) Helpline 0300 200 3100.

They will also still get child tax credits and any other dependants’ benefits they may receive for you. Check out the HMRC site on to find out more information on both child benefit and tax credits. For tax credits help call 0345 300 3900.

If you have no parent or carer to support you, you may be entitled to claim benefits yourself. See your adviser or visit your local Jobcentre for advice. Other support may be available for students with learning difficulties or disabilities. See your adviser for more details.

wheelchair girl choices bus stop vers flatTravel

Young people aged 16-18 who are resident in London and are in full-time learning (including work-based learning) can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster card which allows you to pay as you go at half adult rate on all TfL services and child rate for 7 Day, monthly or longer period travelcards and bus and tram passes. There is a fee of £20 and you will need a colour digital photo and a valid email address. Apply online at or Post Offices in London.

If you are in full-time education and under 18 and live in a London borough, you are eligible for free travel on London’s buses and trams. Check with your school or college for details.

Hoping to continue into higher education?

It’s never too early to start your research. You need to be aware of the costs of higher education, as well as of the long-term benefits. Loans are available for tuition fees, accommodation and living costs. For more information on funding for higher education, see