Employers often ask for a CV when they advertise jobs, but your CV can also be sent to employers to see if they have any vacancies.
Some useful tips:
- remember to include all personal details – full name, address with postcode, telephone number and email address (make sure your email address is fairly formal, little miss fluffy duck might be ok with your friends but an employer may not be impressed!)
- one side of A4 is usually enough for school-leavers
- word process it and check spelling, grammar and presentation
- employers may have lots of CVs to read so keep it simple and to the point
- use positive language about your abilities and qualities
- include information on work experience and any part-time jobs
- include interests – particularly those relevant to the job
- get someone else (e.g. an adviser) to check your CV for errors or to suggest ways it could be improved.