Some employers provide a paper copy of an application form for you to complete. Increasingly, employers are asking for forms to be completed on their websites.
Some useful tips:
Before you complete the form:
- take a photocopy (paper forms) or print a copy (electronic) to practise on
- read the form and make sure you follow the instructions (this could be using black ink or block capitals)
- remember to highlight your skills and qualities and how they will help you in the job you are applying for – refer back to the ‘person specification’ if the company sent you one
- check your information is correct – particularly the dates
- check spelling, grammar and presentation
- make sure you include all your interests and abilities (especially those that are relevant to the application)
- be honest – you may have to answer questions on your application form at the interview
- keep a copy of the completed form (photocopy or save and print off) so that you can remind yourself about what you said before an interview
- ensure that you have completed all sections of the form and attach any information requested.